Saturday, March 21, 2009

Henri....

"All human beings are alone. No other person will completely feel like we do, think like we do, act like we do. Each of us is unique and our aloneness is the other side of our uniqueness. The question is whether we let our aloneness become loneliness or whether we allow it to lead us into solitude. Loneliness is painful: solitude is peaceful . Loneliness makes us cling to others in desperation; solitude allows us to respect others in their uniqueness and create community.
Letting our aloneness grow into solitude and not into loneliness is a lifelong struggle. It requires conscious choices about whom to be with, what to study, how to pray, and when to ask for counsel. But wise choices will help us to find the solitude where our hearts can grow in love."
Henri Nouwen is more than an author....he is a mentor, even from the grave. He listens to his own heart and in turn touches mine....others.....millions. As I have read his books, it is like reading the pages of my soul....my mind.....my heart.....It is like he has been there with me through all my struggles and has written them on every page. Like looking into a crystal ball and seeing who you are.
Loneliness has been so much a part of my life from early on. It has, until lately, been my adversary. Now, it is becoming my advisor. It has been a process of turning loneliness into solitude, but a journey well worth the taking....well worth the exquisite pain....well worth the great effort it takes to look deep within your self and discover the motives and the madness of what has made up your life. And Henri is right! Solitude is ever so much more peaceful than being lonely......Solitude spurs you forward, loneliness leaves you lagging behind in sorrow ....solitude brings hope...loneliness brings hurt. It is a skill that takes large blocks of time and loads of thought processing, but reaps a benefit that cannot be calculated. Peace. In every area. I am thankful for this new found skill I have been learning. It's never too late, or too early to start on the road less traveled toward solitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment